Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Canker Sores; making eating food, just like eating glass

Here's what I've discovered.

To start off, let's begin by pointing out the two very different classifications of oral sores.

First, we have cold sores. Cold sores are unsightly, and occur around the mouth area. These little guys are contagious. Cold sores are also caused by the herpes simplex type 1 virus, similar to its genital-infesting cousin, which hails as a type 2 virus.

Second, we have the infamous canker sores. Canker sores are found exclusively inside the mouth. They can form in a number of places within your mouth; from the tongue, to the floor of the mouth, to the inside lining of your lips and cheeks. And unlike cold sores, canker sores are unknown in their cause.

According to doctors, there are two types of canker sores:

1. Simple canker sores.
These may appear three or four times a year and last up to a week.
2. Complex canker sores.
These are less common and occur more often in people who have previously had them.

So what causes them to emerge?

As I said above, the cause of canker sores is unknown. Nevertheless, there is speculation.

BUT, here's a little something I stumbled across.

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS): is the foaming agent found in most toothpaste and mouthwash formulations. Foaming agents fill the mouth with suds, sending a signal to users that their mouths are clean. Ulcers may be caused by using SLS because it causes excessive sloughing of oral mucosa and dries the protective layer of oral tissues which causes underlying tissues to become damaged.

-dentalgentlecare.com

So if I use products that don't have SLS in them, I'm bound to have less problems with sores forming? I suppose that's possible. I have to say, stumbling across this was very reassuring. Another reassuring factoid I came across:

Mouth rinse containing tetracycline can reduce the unpleasant symptoms of canker sores and speed healing by preventing bacterial infections in the sores. This mouth wash, used several times a day, relieves pain for 24 hours and allows complete healing in 5-7 days.

-dentalgentlecare.com


The same article also encourages the use of an antimicrobial mouthwash to help reduce irritation of the sores.

And immediately after reading this, that's exactly what I did. I rushed to the bathroom, endured around 40 seconds of intense Listerine®
induced pain, and returned to the computer here in my living room.

HOWEVER, then I got to thinking: Hmmmmm, I wonder if my
mouthwash has SLS in its ingredients.

It certainly does.

So at this moment, I'm currently at an impasse. I am without the proper tools to maintain a healthy oral standing. I do at the moment have (a)mouthwash to cleanse my
aphthous stomatitis out. But that's about it.

Do I have Crohn's Disease? Do I have Behcet's Disease? I do not know. All I know is that I'm in pain.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can get some great toothpastes and wash washes that are SLS free. Whole Foods has a bunch. Make sure you read the labels though, just to be sure. Behcet's Syndrome also includes canker sore-like sores in your genitals and/or anus. If you get those too, you may have Behcet's.

Amy Gaspard said...

I have suffered from canker sores in my mouth for years and years. At one point I had so many that I had to go to the ER because I had become so dehydrated from not being able to even swallow water without pain. The ER doctor gave me a great treatment- mix equal parts milk of magnesium and liquid benadryl and swish them around in your mouth (don't swallow). This helps to reduce the pain immediately and help reduce the healing time of the sores. It's worked for me. I also like to freeze grapes and eat those- they are great for numbing the mouth and are delicious.

Oh, and not to scare you, but I just got diagnosed with Crohn's disease about a month ago. There's no way to say if the canker sores that I started getting so many years ago were the first signs of this disease, though. If you have digestive issues, I would mention the canker sores when you talk to your doctor about your stomach problems.